“Taking only as much risk as is necessary to confidently meet your objectives.”
If your portfolio is the main sail of your financial ship, then the financial markets are most certainly the wind. The key is to trim your sails with the right mixture of cash, bonds and stocks for your journey. Not enough wind and the portfolio stalls before reaching its destination. Too much wind and you risk capsizing the boat. In a sea of over 9,000 stocks, 9,000 mutual funds, and 4,000 Exchange Traded Funds (ETFs), these waters should not be navigated alone.
Portfolio architecture is part art and part science:
- Thanks to Nobel Laureate academic research we know where returns come from.
- Studies suggest 94% of portfolio performance can be explained by asset allocation alone.
- Diversification is your best friend and the only “free lunch” available today.
- Minimizing expenses, transaction costs, and trade-related taxes results in higher investor returns.
- With over a century of data we have enough history to know what works and what doesn’t work.